Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WHAT is going on with the LUNGS???

Okay, so the latest scoop on the lung situation is this: They are still giving me trouble. At my last appointment with my Pulmonologist, we decided that since I continue to get Pseudomonas, the Tobramycin regimen will continue until I have completed the dosing for a year. This means that every other 28 days I am going to be doing the "Tobi" treatments for 28 days. So in a years time, I will have completed 6- 28 day courses of the Tobi, at which time I will retest. I have gotten used to the treatments, and can tell when I need to start them again. There is a lot of intracellular swelling that happens, I oxygenate more poorly, and I just plain can't breathe, just like it was when I had the Chronic Haemophilus influenza that eventually turned into the MAI or atypical tuberculosis.
It is somewhat difficult to do this day in and day out......15 pounds up......20 pounds down every other 28 days. I did learn something rather interesting about this. As I have frequently had a hopeless feeling that this would never end, I found out that the Cystic Fibrosis patients do this constantly, between hospitalizations. I thought they came in for a "clean out" and then they were good for 2 or 3 months. While I know they have their regular lung clearance regimen I was unaware that they too must take the tobramycin 28 days on, and then 28 days off, and are frequently on other oral antibiotics on an outpatient basis. While this gave me a greater understanding, and somewhat of a sense of relief, it also heightened my level of respect for them, in all that they go through. So we shall see, around about March or April if the Pseudomonas does indeed have a permanent home lodged somewhere within the bronchioli of my backwards little mess of a lung existence. Until then....Keep up that faith. It really does help me you know....THANK YOU!!!

No comments: